Perhaps if 10 people cannot agree on "best" program
for a specific task, 8 people can agree on easiest to
start with for a total beginner?

I love kedit, for example, because it is really really
simple.  I can write a letter in it, write html, hell
I've even written BASIC in it!  Yet it functions
almost exactly like notepad.  No frills but it works
and I understood how to use it the first time I
clicked on its icon in the task bar.

So, if you are trying to tweak at least one of the
installation choices to total bewbies perhaps it would
be fruitful to choose the programs from that
perspective.  What is simple and intuitive, perhaps
lacking a bit in frills and sophistication, but useful
and welcoming to someone who is looking at a KDE
desktop for the first (or 20th or 50th) time ever.

If you want I will give you a (reasonably)
comprehensive list of the programs that were
absolutely essential to me during my migration to
mandrake.  I would be happy to do that.

Dacia