I mis-typed(?).  I needed to remove Boot Magic, which must be 1)
disabled, then 2) uninstalled.  "fdisk /mbr" is not needed for this one.
-Gary-

earlier today I wrote
    Understand that MBR and sys are two separate issues.  If one can boot
from a floppy and use the DOS partition [can you?], failure to boot is either
MBR or system files (sys).  Lilo, partition magic or others can goof up the
MBR.  With a DOS floppy boot the computer and "fdisk /mbr" (without the
quotes, the case of letters being irrelevant).  If the hard drive booted
before and the MBR was hyjacked, that should fix it [I have to do that
because of partition magic later today!].  If the drive fails to boot use the
floppy and run fdisk.  Use the option to examine the partitions to check that
the DOS partition is set active.  If it is -- it must be "active" to boot DOS
-- , then sys it.  If it booted before the question is why sysing would be
necessary; the existance of system files is not a function of the MBR.
    -Gary-