Hi Andrew:

Say we're in the same bandwagon :) I have a Compaq MV520 monitor and Trident
Blade 3D/MVP4.

I don't know if you have tried this but you could.  It worked in my case,
now I have a higher resolution in my screen (800x600) though I did not try
the 1024x768.

I assume that you have the LM 7 powerpack. Anyway, it should be in the
installation disk (CD disk 1).

1) load the CD disk 1 into the drive
2) Be in the root (X window)
3) type "mount /mnt/cdrom"
4) type "cd /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS"
5) type "rpm -i kernel-fb*"
6) type "rpm -i XFree86-FB*"
7) type "rpm -i XVFree86-VGA16*"
8) type "cd"
9) type "umount /mnt/cdrom"
* don't type the " " (quotes)

for #4: try to find the disk that contains the directory /Mandrake/RPMS and
that have the files w/c are #5 to #7.

for #5-#7: it might probably answer that file is installed already then it
is fine just continue doing the others.

10) locate your lilo.conf file, it should be in the /etc directory.  Just
click on the file name if you are viewing the directory.

11) type in the following at the end of the file:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-15.mdkfb
     label=fb
     root=/dev/hda1
     vga=0x313
     read-only

note:
a) that the version of vmlinuz should be the same one in your computer, u
have to check it mine is 2.2.14-15.

b) also the root=/dev/hda1 should depend on where your root is mine is in
hda1.

c) vga=0x313 is for the 800x600, if you want the 1024x768 use vga=0x316
(both are under the 16bits).

12) save the file.
13) at the root prompt type "lilo" (no quotes).
14) type "reboot" (no quotes)
15) when the lilo prompt comes type "fb" no quotes. if it gives you and
error moved block 0XAE (i got this) just enter and delete whatever  comes
after the prompt and type "fb" it worked in my case.
16) if the new kernel works then edit the lilo.conf again by replacing the
"default=linux" to "default=fb". If it's already edited (mine was
automatically edited) then just leave it.

this is found in the manual page 72 section 7.4.3 (if we have the same
manual). the manual instructed to further configure the Xconfigurator and
the file XF86Config (found in /etc/X11) but I did not do so and left it and
so far it worked.  I tried rebooting several times to see if I really had to
edit using Xconfigurator but it still works so I did not do any futher
editing.

Wow! this is a long one but I know your frustrations, we share the same
problems. I'm still fixing my installations like modem, zip drive,etc. at
least I got one down.

If you installed under "recommended" it won't ask you the following a)
install lilo b) x configure.

Yes, i get the same error w/ you if I type linux-fb at the prompt so I just
leave it alone.

so if this works then you don't have to install the downloaded file.  It
worked w/ mine but don't hold me accountable :) Since we have the same
computer, monitor and video card it should work.

well, good luck to you. I on my part still have to fix some other teething
(gnarling ;>) problems.

edison