On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 06:02:50 -0400, you wrote:

>I have a question on packages that are on Linux. Is there a web site that
>gives details of what the package is and etc?? I would like to be able to
>know what to install and what I don't need. I think I am wasting space by
>taking everything that is offered in the install.
>This way I will know what is what as to everyday use of Linux.
>
>Thanks
>Robert F. Trettel
================================
Tue, 13 Jun 2000  15:42:19

I had the same Question Robert, all those strange names are quite
meaningless unless you already have experience...I found that the
descriptions in the KDE package tool are very helpful..

        Click on a package name and a description shows up in the
right hand panel...Providing you have a linux loaded of course....If
you have the space though ,load it all and then you can search through
it and learn about it for next installation...or any thing that you
don't need you can trim out...

        If you don't load all the development material you cannot
manage to make and install some other RPM downloaded later. or do
compiling and the like.

the site     http://mandrakeuser.org/ has been big time helpful to me.
Olly P
Biloxi