Mark,
it reads everything fine in windoze.  I am not attempting to read cdrw disks
in Linux I am attempting to read professionally produced cdroms produced by
ManDrake Linux that were provided by them in my 7.0 release...the Creative
cdrw 4224 is a machine that is supposed to (and does in windoze) act as a
normal cdrom as well as a cd burner...it isn't the equipment...it is the OS
and the way it is attempting to address the hardware.

it has improved in release 7.1 , in 7.0 it wouldn't even attempt to look at
it...now at least it accesses it but doesn't read and in fact locks up the
drive...so now when I am working in linux I put in another drive so I can
access those disks, I re-install (physically) the burner when I need to burn
cd's in windoze....now since the cdrom/cdburner works perfectly in windoze I
am assuming there isn't a problem with the hardware.

Jim

If it's a RE-writable CDROM then you won't be able to read normal data
CD's in it. That's my understanding. Only CD's that have been written
using that peice of hardware can be read in it.

regular data CD's format = ISO9660

--
Mark

I love my Linux box...