When mandrake is booting, it will reach a point where "Welcome To Linux
Mandrake" in powder blue. "Press I to enter interactive mode" followed by a
bunch of Loading whatever [ OK ]. As soon as you see that "Welcome To Linux
Mandrake" Press the letter i on your keyboard. It will go on to some of
those various "Loading this [ OK ] Loading that [ OK ]" ect. Then it will
display a screen that has various options like:

Start Computer With graphics and network
Start Computer in text mode with network
Start Computer in text mode only
Configure
Continue
(Rough approximation of that menu from memory, expect it to be similar, but
not identical)

You want to select "Start Computer in text mode with network" by
highlighting it with your arrow keys, then pressing enter.

Your computer will booth nomally until you recieve a login screen.

Login as root.

Type in
Xconfigurator and choose your video card and monitor from the lists then
choose the option to automatically scan for resolution.

Xconfigurator is pretty self-explanitory. (It's actually a link to a Drak
tool, something like DrakVideo or some such, but that is outside the scope
of your problem)

After your finished setting up the video stuff, it'll dump you back out to
a command prompt. You should be able to type:
su - david
(replace david with whatever you user account is probably valvo or
something similar)
now type in
startx

And the GUI should load up. If it doesn't then try toying with some more
settings in Xconfigurator.

-David Talbot