To see the state of sendmail, you have to specify the full path of the
script : /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail [start|stop|status]

Maybe I shouldn't say it, as it could lead to endless debate, but I would
advice you to forget about sendmail and to install qmail instead. It is
really easier to configure. The complexity of sendmail is considered as a
security hole.

HTH
Flupke

--