Thanks Paul and Alan for your help.
As I am very new with Linux there is a lot of things that I do not know how
to do. So I kindly ask you again for your help to put my scanner working.

ID of scanner: Ok

Install SANE package: The only package I found is "SANE-devel" that is
"static libraries and header files for writing SANE modules". If it is this
package ok, it is installed (I made the installation with rpmDrake).

Then I made a find file to see where were the files installed and I got the
following directories:
/etc/sane.d
/usr/doc/sane-1.01
/usr/include/sane (with a lot of sub-directories)
/usr/lib/sane
/usr/man/man1/
/usr/man/man5/
/usr/share/sane-style.rc

I read the readme file and I saw:
"Configuration: Simply invoke configure in the top level directory"

Question 1: What is the top level directory?

Question 2: How do I invoke configure? What is the exact words that I should
write? Can configure be made from the console under kde?
In "Building and installing software packages for linux" I read "Note that
if you run configure, it should be invoked as ./configure to ensure that the
correct configure script that will accomplish this purpose". I tried write
./configure + enter, but I received an error message No file or directory.

So, if you can help me with detailed and concrete instructions of how to
finish my installation of SANE package I would appreciate very much ;)

Thanks in advance
Pedro