I'm trying to upgrade my kernel through rpm's (since compiling from source
hasn't worked) and so I'm following the guide from Mandrakeuser.org
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/install/kupgrade2.html

Anyways, I come to the part where it says to make a new initrd image, but when
I type in the command it lists (mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.16-9mdk 2.2.16-9mdk) I get
this error:

mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
mount: Could not find any loop device, and, according to /proc/devices,
       this kernel does not know about the loop device.
       (If so, then recompile or `insmod loop.o'.)
Can't get a loopback device

It's not critical that I need SCSI support, but one of my harddrives (non Linux
HD) is SCSI, and so is my CD-burner. This has happened on all my previous
attempts with compiling kernels, but I had always figured I screwed up
somewhere and that's why it gave me the error. But even now with rpm's I get
it. So how do I get mkinitrd to work for me?

 --
Anthony Huereca
http://m3000.1wh.com