On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Got a question for all of you Linux Experts out there.
> I am buying a new Hard Drive this weekend, I want to
> have Windows 98 on the master drive and Linux on the
> slave.   I want to know how to address installing
> Linux in that environment and how will Linux see that
> second disk \hda2?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

   While I recommend IBM or Quantum HDD's, it's also wise to use
HDD's from the same manufacturer when they're on the same IDE.
A feww brands in somewhat rare situations fight with each other.
That said, I've got an IBM and a WD on ide0  ;)  This is because I
believe WD drives are very good, but WD is gettin out of the
desktop HDD business... I wouldn't buy one now, a lot of what
they're sellin now are just re-badged IBM's.

    First drive is hda, second drive will be hdb.  On any drive
primary partitions are number 1,2,3,4, and extended partitions are
5,6,7,8.......   Your proposed setup is just what I run. I have an
IBM 13.6 gig all one partition with Windoze on it (hda1). Slave
drive is a WD 8.4 gig basically split 5 for linux and 3 for fat32.
This is because linux can use fat32 space just as easily as ext2,
so I use some fat32 space so both OS's can use it.  I also use a
lot of space on my Windoze drive (hda1) to store/use Linux files,
and files both OS's can use (eg, .jpg, .mp3, etc)

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1        18    144553+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb2            19       646   5044410    5  Extended
/dev/hdb3           647      1027   3060382+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hdb5            19        23     40131   83  Linux
/dev/hdb6            24       646   5004216   83  Linux

   As you can see above (from fdisk -l), hdb1 is my swap (140mb).
hdb2  contains hdb5 (/boot) and hdb6 (/, everything else linux).
hdb3 is the fat32 space (I use it as a staging area for burning
CD's).

    If this is confusing, this is how 'dmesg' displays it

Partition check:
 hda: hda1
 hdb: hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 hdb6 > hdb3

   If you're installing with 7.0 or 7.1, 'diskdrake' will take care
of all this for you, all you need to do is choose how many
partitions and what size for each.  For new users I'd recommend a
120 to 150 mb /swap, a small /boot (20mb), and put all the rest in
'/'

   You might wanna read thru the installation section on
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/   for a better explaination of all this

--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]