The way I got my i810 boards to work was to select the intel i740 graphics
cards (supposably 4 meg of video ram), then select the monitor from the
Drak config tool. Click test, then it skips the memory back down to 2 meg
as it's supposed to be, bam, I give you 16x1024x768 without editing XF86Config.

-David Talbot