On Wed, 05 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> >    Not really. Any files you use with Linux and be copied to or
> >read from a DOS formatted floppy.  Where this gets flakey is tryin
> >to do it with ext2 formatted floppies.  If you use 'superformat'
> >to format floppies beyond 1440k (eg, 1992), you need to use DOS
> >format.
>
> In the several years that I worked on a Sparcstation I think I used the
> floppy no more than half a dozen times so only curiosity causes me to
> pursue this, and that you understand it :-)  Are you saying that there's
> not much reason to use floppies in ext2 format?  If so, you're right and I
> don't see the problem then.
>
> Cheers --- Larry

     Yeah, I was implying that.  I was also implying that dos is a
better file system to use on floppies, it's more stable, especially
over 1440k, and universally more readable by most systems.

    After I posted, I realized some might not know about
'superformat'.  It's on the 7.1 CD's in the 'fdutils...rpm'.
Although I rarely feel the need to use a floppy myself (I bakup to
cd-rw, or to a windoze partition), 'fdutils' and 'mtools' (prob'ly
already installed, but also on the CD) are well worth having a
general understanding of. (man superformat, and info mtools)

--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]