----- Original Message -----
From: "Alf C Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 1:00 AM
Subject: [newbie] Install

> I have downloaded and created the 2 CD containing Mandrake 7.1 but when I
> try and install I have the following problem.
> I select standard install and it runs till it gets to my two IDE disks. It
> then assumes that it can go ahead and rewrite the partitions on /dev/hdc
> and I really don't want Mandrake fiddling with this drive. I have no
> problem with it doing what it will with /dev/hda but I need to change the
> install so that it leaves /dev/hdc alone. I have tried disabling the
> second drive in the BIOS but still Mandrake persists in trying to rewrite
> it.
>  Please tell me how to do this.
>
> ---
>
> Regards,
> Alf Stockton www.stockton.co.za
> In God we trust, all others are suspects.

     Alf

     If you have 2 hds in Mandrake they will be /dev/hda and /dev/hdb. In
the Standard install it will see a Zip drive as /dev/hdc.
     When the installation "Writes change to disk" it will list each drive
but the only one that it is actually making any changes to is the drive on
which you choose to install Mandrake.

    Charles