1) If you have a newer monitor (2 years old or so) then you can merely save
the settings to the Monitor's RAM after adjusting it.

Next time Linux comes up, it will switch to the appropriate mode.

2) If you have a REALLY old monitor, you'll need to be sure that Linux is
running at EXACTLY the same screen res and refresh rate as your NT/Windows
settings...

Thus if you have your monitor set at 1024x768x85hz (doubtful if you have an
old monitor!) you'll need to set Linux to use the same refresh rate... clock
rates follow logically...

You'll need to hand edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config so that the timings are the
same... if you cannot do this from XVidtune.

You can also try re-configuring XFree86. Select a "lower" monitor than what
you have.

Normally "X" tries to drive the monitor you specify at the highest possible
frequency.

Selecting a more median monitor will effectively lower the refresh rate at a
given resolution and get you closer to where you need to be.

-JMS