On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Michael Khachiki wrote:

>HI all
>
>can any one tell me what is the difference between Unix and Linux scripts? I
>have made small Unix script and it works... but the same script wouldn't
>work on Linux. I am perplexed on why would the same script work on one OS
>and not on the other.
>
>Can any one tell me if /bin is the right place to store scripts?

There are all kinds of small differences in the several unix flavors. At
work I have Prime unix boxes and also HP9000 HP-UX boxes. Both Unix, but
can't swap scripts.

I would store personal scripts in something like $home/bin and add that
directory to my path. For system-wide scripts I have added a /scripts
directory to the system path.

Paul

--
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie"
until you can find a rock.

)0(    [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]    )0(
http://nlpagan.net -  ICQ 147208
Registered  Linux  User   174403