My Kodak DC280 worked through the serial connection; haven't tried the
usb since I recompiled my kernel.  gphoto is still a little buggy and it
has only limited support - you get much more use out of the Windows
software.  I love linux, and it's getting there, but some apps just need
the help of the company who designed the product to begin with.

Mike