I've intermingled my answers below:

> I would need:
>
> 1. A file manager of the type Windows Commander. That means I would
>    like something that has:
> a) two file windows and *no* directory tree (that's why I don't use
>    the KDE file manager)

See Freshmeat.net for FileRunner

> b) icon bar from where I can start apps

KDE should already have this available (I use gnome-it certainly has that ability))

> c) command line

Terminal window.

> d) directory hotlist (where you can add fav. dirs to jump to)

I believe KDE as a user menu in the pop-up which you can configure.

> e) internal packer support (not just the standard gzip and bzip, but
>    also ARJ, RAR, ACE)

Look on the CD, or the Kpackage manager for utilities--if you're running Mandrake,
it's probably already installed.

> 2. An image file viewer like ACDSee, that has:

see Freshmeeat.net for xv. Mandrake may also have installed for you--in Terminal type:

rpm -q xv

and see what it tells you.

> a) a browser where I can preview the images
> b) a fullscreen imageviewer which can shrink to fullscreen and zoom to
>    fullscreen (if image is larger/smaller)
> c) and is FAST. I found Kuickshow quite suiting my needs unless I
>    tried to zoom onto an 1024*768. After pressing '+' for the fifth
>    time I waited about 20 seconds for it to zoom...
>
> 3. An HTML editor like HomeSite, that has:
> a) HTML validation
> b) syntax highlighting (I know VIM has)
> c) included help to tags (with explanation to them as well as
>    examples)

Try bluefish, also: see freshmeat.net

--Greg

Want free email? Sign up at http://www.freeze.com !