>>> "Carjam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4:11:49 AM 8/11/00 >>>
IE sends back information to microsoft? I knew it can be made to do that by
microsoft, but I dont think it does it every time.

adrian replys:   i dont' know the specifics actually.  the story as i read it is this.

when Win95 first came out, one of the computer mags (PC World or one like it, i don't
remember now) said that the first time you logged onto the internet with IE, IE would
check the software on your computer, see if you were registered and pick up the seriel
number, and send this information to M$.  it seemed that they said this only happened
the first time you logged on.

M$ initially denied it, then later - in this same magazine, it was written that M$
admitted, yes this is true - but this function can be disabled.  the magazines
response was
1. how to disable it is not documented
2. since no one knows it's happening, why would you try to disable it?

having never owned a Win95 system, only Win3.1 & 98 i don't know the actual specifics
(how to disable, does this really happen, etc.)  i have never heard any rumors, tales,
stories etc that IE still does this.  this was the first thing that made me suspicious
of M$.  truth be told, i liked Win3.1.....   i know, call me sick.

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042