"Adrian Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> a bit ago someone said
>
> "If you choose to use the Sawfish Window Mamanger (which has
> replaced Enlightenment as GNOME's default WM), then you may want to fiddle
> around with the settings to get it working the way you want it."
>
> now, i'm confussed about something here....  i was thinking that
Enlightenment and GNOME were both window managers....  seems i'm wrong.
========================
Gnome is a desktop environment, not a window manager.  It should run ontop of
a window manager (like Sawfish or Enlightenment - or Windowmaker or FVWM
or.....) ideally.  Right now Sawfish is the default.  Not too long ago
Enlgihtenment had been the default.  KDE is also a desktop environment, but it
comes with its own window manager KWM by default.  You could substitute a
different wm for KDE, but typically it runs best on KWM I believe.
==========================

> so am i right that either KDE or GNOME is running under Enlightenment (which
is what i am currently using in Mandrake 7.1).  so the question is, how do i
know which is running, how do i change, and what differences does it make??
==========================
In the Gnome setup or manager (I forget what it's called.  I'm in Blackbox
just now) choose window manager, and you'll see a short list of window
managers with one chosen as "(current)".  That's the one you're utilizing at
the moment, but you could chose another.
=============================
> thanks much...
> oh, ps -- if i use the most recent "red hat linux for dummies" book (they
have it at the library) this would be mostly true for mandrake linux, am i
right??\\
Probably close enough ;o)

> thanks again
>
> adrian
Mike

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

http://webmail.netscape.com.