OK...  Although I can't quite understand why anyone switching to Linux would
still want AOL, here's the deal:

AOL software, of course, doesn't run under Linux...Will not run under Wine
under Linux (too big/complicated a program for Wine), and does not need it's
proprietary connection to talk to the AOL servers.

If you have another ISP (a free one like 1NOL, Freei (hacked), etc) you can
configure AOL on a Windoze box to run through a TCP/IP connection (it's in
the setup screen which you get to through the connect window [or whatever
they call it]).

If you have the linux box do the dialing, act as a firewall and masquerade
(proxy) server, and connect the Windoze box to the firewall through a hub or
crossover cable, you have your own little network that'll support AOL with
some security.

***Better News Follows!!!***

In addition, if you dial-up through a different ISP (again, a free one) you
can cut your AOL bill down to $9.95/month simply because you don't use their
proxies to dial in to the service.

If you have any questions, let me know...

--Greg