Dan,
        I feel your pain.  I was in IP chains hell all Saturday.  If I understand
what
your realy trying to do, its IP Masquerading.  The IP Masquerading HowTo
that
came with Mandrake /usr/doc/howto/html had a section that had an ipchains
firewall script that was cut and paste and change the network to be my
network.

Also make sure that ip_forward and ip_always_defrag is turned on.  My
problem
yesterday was nothing more than turning on ip_always_defrag, it is not
enough
just to compile it into the kernel.

to autostart it at boot, I simply put the commands in
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall, which I
made executable, then in /etc/rc.d/rc.local I added a line to run
rc.firewall.  It is
all spelled out in the how-to.

That should get you up and running, it did for me.

John