patrick darcy wrote:

> Kathleen Dickason wrote:
>
> > patrick darcy wrote:

> > > i got 2 drives one 15 gig the other 20 gig and linex has em  both
> > >                                            :)
> >
> > Wow!  I've got 2 drives with a combined total of 23.6 gig...and 4 OSes.  Soon
> > to be 5.  Hee.
> >
> > --
> > Kathleen Dickason
> > Registered Linux user #182139
>
> how come so many operating systems. i find this fascinating. what do u
> do more or less with each of them

I have so many because I'm an OS addict.  *grin*  I am curious about how they work
and what apps are available in each environment.  And CheapBytes makes them simple
to acquire as well as inexpensive.

I started with Windows 98,  which came preinstalled and which I keep because there
are some programs I need for work that Ionly have in Windows...like Adobe
PageMaker and PhotoShop.

I don't like Windows much, though, so I installed Linux Mandrake 7.0 as a dual
boot, then upgraded to 7.1.  This is my current favorite OS.  I use it for
learning to program in C, for email and websurfing.  I'm still exploring and
learning!

After that, I got curious.  I have a friend who used to program for the BeOS, so I
bought a 2nd hard drive and installed BeOS 5 on that.  Be is my 2nd favorite
OS...I use it to play with graphics programs and 3D modeling, and also for email
and websurfing.

Since I like the Unix aspect of Linux a lot, I got curious about other flavors,
and installed FreeBSD also on the 2nd hard drive.  I have only played with this a
little so far, since I am currently spending most of my free time playing with C
programming.

I plan to install Sun Solaris in the future, since it's one of the Unices most
commonly used by businesses around here.

But mostly, I just like to play with them.  :)