Can anyone help me out on this one.  I've been itching to upgrade to
Mandrake 7.1 for a while now.  So that's done, and I love it.  However,
I can't seem to get the sound card to be detected, as well as connect to
my network.  I'm on mixed network, with a Unix gateway (routing us to a
higher level network), with all the other machines being either Solaris
or NT.  I don't know what exactly I need to configure to access the
network from Linux.

I've tried duplicating all the settings from the NT partition - whereas
the machine was concerned, so to the gateway, I should still be -
"samemachinename", and the same IP address.  However.  I'm quite sure I
entered something wrong.  I can't ping the gateway, nor can I see anyone
else on the network (which means no internet from within Linux).  I set
the ethernet card to be dev/eth0, which shows a device fail in bootup
now, so I'm quite sure the problem begins there.  Is there any general
advice someone can give to help me get unto a Unix network.  I've had
little experience with Linux - however, I have intentions of making it
my operating system of choice.

If you wish to help me address this problem, you can email me directly,
so as not to waste the people's time on this list.  Thanks.

About the sound card, I'll try a bit to figure that one out - probably
have to find an RPM driver somewhere for it.

Kirk