On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Kandace Little wrote:

>I at last have Linux loaded on my win 98 system (duel boot).
>I am having troubles with KDE though, or I think I am. When
>I boot into Linux I can use the key combination of Ctrl-Alt-F(n)
>to open any of the seven desktops but none of these have what
>I thought.

That should be as follows: when you set things up properly, you can
"startx" and that will load the first X server session. You can then
switch to tty2 through tty6 by pressing CtrlAltF2 - CtrlAltF6.

On the second (F2) login screen, ->After Logging In!!<- you can run
another x server, "startx -- :1" (startx -- :2 for the third one etc.)

But don't do that when you don't need that, in KDE you already have 4
virtual desktops and you can expand that to as many as 10 if I am correct
(I don't run KDE anymore , XFCE goes to 12).

>I thought there was icons and task bars so to speak in the KDE
>desktop, is that right? I hit the F7 option and get two command
>line windows.

Do you see a graphical screen with a mouse cursor? If so, you are running
X without a window manager installed. Then you better "upgrade" your
install and make sure you have KDE installed (although this is done by
default). If you only see a text screen, make sure you log in and you run
"startx" to start the x-windows system.

Let's hear if this gets you somewhere...

Paul

--
When you're born again,
do you have two bellybuttons?