I whole heartedly agree with you Paul.  You expressed it much better than I
did.  I am willing to put in the time to learn but have the concern that
many will not - again leaving me with a marginal or orphan OS for which
drivers no longer exist and hardware incompatibilities abound (as happened
to me with OS/2).  I think everyone expects to have to learn new things when
using a new OS, it is the need to learn programming syntax just to be able
to configure it that is daunting.

But I will master that too.  I have been using computers since the Apple II
days, have used numerous OS's from DOS, Win 3.1 (same thing), OS/2 in
several versions, W95/98 and NT as well as having played with some simple
programming.  However my programming experience is rudimentary and that has
been a stumbling block for me with Linux - though one I will overcome in
time.

In an ideal world there would be a simpler configuration interface for those
who wish it while leaving the code visible and _available_ (without taking
anything away from) those who would prefer the command line and UNIX syntax.
One does not obviate the other.  It is my understanding that Linux is moving
in that direction anyway, which is logical, and Mandrake is a definite step
in that direction especially as to installation.

Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux user  183185