Dennis:
I have a similar problem...I have a MV Pas16 sound card
which works fine under windows98 and with the COL2.3 Linux.
With Mandrake 7.1 I get output from the Line Out of the card
but it is at a low level.  I cannot seem to get kmix to
control the volume. (kmix is the program you get when you
click on the speaker icon on the bottom of the screen
(kde).  Any ideas why kmix does not seem to work with in
Mandrake 7.1?

btw: the correct command is sndconfig.  Path is
/usr/sbin/sndconfig

Dean.

--
Dean J. Steichen