Verify  your BIOS is set for Non PnP OS
In Linux PCI modems are ttySs.
The setserial commands must be issued as root.
For a PCI modem use the followin directions.

. Log in as root and from terminal enter the following command
# cat /proc/pci

This will list all your PCI devices. On this list you should see either
Communication controller or Communication device,
That listing is your modem. If it shows as Comm. device you have a winmodem
and it won't work in Linux.
 If it shows as Comm. controller proceed as follows:
Write down the first I/O range. In the example I am using 0xd800  replace
that with yours.
Enter the following
# setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xd800 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig
If there are no errors, then enter
# setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A

Select /dev/ttyS3 as the device in kppp and your modem should now initalize
and operate.
To make this perm. you will need to edit your rc.local file which is located
in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add the 2 setserial lines to the end of this
file Save the changes and reboot your system.