On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I was shutting down for a storm this afternoon, and accidentally I hit
> the ` key, next to the 1 on the top row. I lost my Bash prompt, and the
> screen displayed a > . I pressed the ` key again, and the bash prompt
> reappeared. Did I leave the Bash shell, and enter another command mode?

the reverse tick feeds the output of a command into another, sort of a reverse
pipe.

example, I have a file called viking.txt on my machine, I know the name of the
file, but forget exactly where it is, and I want to view it

I can do the following
less `locate viking.txt`
and now that I know where it is, I can then take a look at it with less

 --
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)