> Just type 'mc' at your terminal prompt - it should be part of the
> standard install. It's almost exactly like the Dos equiv. - a few

Very interesting...something new to play with.  thanks.

> I'm not ofay with the history of Linux - I suspect that Linus
> may have been avoiding copyright issues. Sure catches me still but
> less and less

Could be.  My understanding, though, is that he started with Minix in
mind and Tannenbaum's book is pretty widespread and there's been a
number of offshoots of Minix.  Gee...times do change.  You just made
me remember buying Tannenbaum's OS book and the Minix package and
paying nearly $300CDN for it.  All you got was source code and there
wasn't much in the way of apps that ran with Minix.  Yep...the good
old days weren't.

> I pulled Star Office from Sun in 7 tarballs way back (ver 5.1). I
> do like it even if it takes an age to load up on this old beast.

I sure wish they'd hack those apps away from that distortion called
their desktop.  They've learned from Mr. Gates..."do it all in one
place" is a "feature", not a stupid idea...at least in their minds.  I
like the apps but it seems so non-Linux to have such an integrated
approach.

> RedHat/Mandrake paths?? dunno, I assumed that because L-M was a
> sub/super set of RH that they'd be pretty much the same - Bit

Agreed, but I could have sworn that when I had RH installed it's use
of directories was more what I was used to than with Mandrake. It's
probably my two neurons acting up again.

> Boy, do I remember those days - sigh...............................

Yeah...you've got me thinking about a lot of those "old times"...like
the $600 bill for those manuals.

> Problem here is that I don't think I'm qualified any longer to venture
> an opinion where programming languages are concerned - too long away.

It's for the same reason that I'm asking the question.

> I guess the only opinion/comment I would make in this area is that
> programming in whatever language is a young persons'domain for the
> most part. I think many of us oldies are too set in our ways to

<grin>...and they don't mind that "just one more compile" routine at
3AM:-)

I've written a lot of C++ code so I'm pretty comfortable with using
class libraries and such.  tcl/tk is nice cuz it works on many
platforms and I know something about it.  But like you say, writing
lots of code is not something I'm dying to do.  But with gnu C++
compilers and such sitting on my machine, I'm sure I'll "need" some
sort of utility that doesn't exist currently.  At this point I'm about
to hack together a decent addressbook but I really should spend my
free time learning more about Linux rather than doing what I know how
to do :-)

> Comment - We must be about due for a flame here - something about
> wasting bandwidth on reminiscing.

You're probably right.  Is there an old fart's list somewhere?

Cheers --- Larry