Mark Thurston wrote:

> Alright, I was finally able to install the developer version of Linux, I
> just used the one CD and it worked.  Anyway, now I use g++ (part of the gcc)
> at school.  What happens now is that none of the libraries are there.  I
> checked using whereis iostream.h  -- nothing.  I know that I can download it
> from the internet, any ideas on where to find it?  Is it in an RPM file or
> will I have to use a tar?  Anyway, hopefully by tomorrow this will be
> solved.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Mark,

Ok...I did a little checking around on my system and I found a program
that will find the file and return it's system path to the screen. But
there are a few things that you have to do before you can do the search.

1) open a terminal window
2) 'su' and become root
3) on the command line type:  slocate -u  <ENTER>
this will create a index of all the files on your file system. Don't
worry it's perfectly safe.
4) exit from being root by typing 'exit' on the command line and hitting
<ENTER>
5) issue this command on the command line:
        slocate -l 0 iostream.h
the program will return the FS path statement to the screen of ever
instance of the file's existance on your system.

        slocate = program name performing the search
        -l (lower case L) = sets the security level it can be either a 0

(zero) or a 1 (one). The zero turns security off and affords                    a much
faster search.
        iostream.h = the file being searched for

All this info was quickly gleaned from searching the 'man' pages on the
system that are installed when the system is installed. I started by
viewing the man pages for 'find' which led me to slocate which got the
job done.

Linux ROCKS!
--
Mark
**  =/\=  No Penguins were harmed       | ICQ#27816299