the program will ask you if you have an account or want to start one the first
time you run it.  I understand that you have to have the text version running
and then start the X version in order to get it to work but don't quote me on
that since I haven't tried to make it go in linux yet.

Good luck and please keep me updated on how this works for you.  I'd really
like to get SETI running on my linux partition I've just been too busy with
trying to figure out why only root can listen to cds on my machine ;-)

Abe

>===== Original Message From Mark Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>Hi Abe,
>
>I went to the seti site, downloaded the client, did a little looking
>around and found another site that had a GUI to us along with the command
>line client in case I wanted to see what it was doing. I don't
>know...maybe it's me, but it's not fair that Windows get's to have all the
>cool screensavers.
>
>Anyway, I probably won't get to install it till I get home from work, but
>how does one go about setting up a user account with the seti site, and
>then get work to do? Or is that all handled by the program when it's
>installed and all?
>
>--
>Mark
>**  =/\=  No Penguins were harmed      | ICQ#27816299
>** <_||_> in the making of this                |
>**  =\/=  message...                   | Registered Linux user #182496
>
>On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Abe wrote:
>
>> Seti@home  its a distributed computing thing.  You go to
>> http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
>> and download a utility that runs on your computer when you are not using
it.
>> What it does is crunch the data that the SETI program has collected for
signs
>> of intelligent life (organized signals).  Its a very popular and very cool
>> thing.  I've been doing it for about a year now and I've got about 72
blocks
>> of data analyzed on my computers.  You can run it on every major OS.
>>
>> Check it out its neato.
>>

>> Abe

Jesus saves,
Allah forgives,
Chthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.