Roger Sherman wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I've recently come back to Mandrake after trying several other distros.
> > > I'm using 7.0 as I prefer the menu design over those in the newer
> > > release. I've found that Sound Mixer (in KDE) settings are reset back to
> > > default when I reboot the machine which is just a tad annoying. When
> > > merely restarting KDE my settings hold, but a full reboot generates the
> > > reset. Has anyone else found this to be the case or know of a
> > > configuration setting I need to tweak? Many thanks....
> >

> > I've had the same problem, and while I haven't had a chance to try out this
> > solution yet, here is John Rye's reply to me the other day (thanks again, John!)

> > > Add the command 'aumix -v xx' where xx is a number between 0 and 99
> > > to the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local - that will set the volume to
> > > a value you select at startup.
> > >
> > > I found that 30 to 40 was about right for me.
>
> So, I just sent the above a couple of minutes ago, and decided to give the
> above directions a whirl myself. I opened Konsole, found my way into the
> /etc/rc.d/ directory (yes, this is still a challenge for me, like I said in
> another post, I'm as newbie as they come), and then it said rc.local wasn't a
> directory, so I go find it through KFM (which is almost like a loss to me; I'm
> trying really hard to learn to use the terminal window), and I see its a shell
> script. So how do I go about modifying one of them? Preferably through Konsole,
> but any way will do....
>
> Thanks!
>
> peace,
>
> Rog
> http://www.slammingrooves.com

Roger

You need to login as root to do this.

Use your favourite editor (If you use KDE there's a simple one on your
task bar)
Navigate to the directory /etc/rc.d  - there you should see the file
called
rc.local -

Open that file and add the line above to the very end.

You could also do this from a terminal using Midnight Commander - in
many
ways this wee utility makes navigation easier as you can see the
directory
structure as you move about. If you've used Norton Commander from MSDOS
you'l already be most of the way there - But remember that utilities
like
this are inherantly dangerous particularly when you are acting as root.

Cheers

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]