Fabian Jennings wrote:

> I have a PC pentium 233 with 32MB RAM, and am dual booting
> between  Linux-Mandrake 7.1 and Win 95. My printer is an HP
> Deskjet 870Cxi. Under Windows, it prints as expected - 4 to
> 5 pages of black and white text per minute, or thereabouts.
> Under Linux-Mandrake, however, it prints at about one fifth
> that speed. Mandrake recognizes my printer as a series 870C,
>
> and lists a driver for it. I configured accordingly, both
> using printtool and DrakConf. I am quite confident that I
> entered all the configuaration info correctly. As I said, it
> does print
> under Mandrake. Also, it runs off the ASCII test page
> without a
> hitch. But when I go back to the KDE desktop and print a
> text document from one of my StarOffice 5.2 files or an
> email from Netscape, for example, it prints woefully slowly.
>
> I have gone back to both printtool and Drakconfig to change
> the print filter, choosing other HP Deskjet drivers listed,
> but that has not made any difference. Has anybody got any
> idea what could be wrong and how to fix it? I'll also
> mention that moving around with the mouse on my KDE
> desktop is quick and responsive, but bringing up StarOffice
> and moving around on the StarOffice desktop are slow and
> tedious; i.e., like the printer performance. Star Office
> takes about three or four minutes to appear after I click on
>
> it, and the same for a new document page, once I'm there.I'm
>
> throwing this in, not to double up on problems, but because
> I'm wondering if there could be any connection?
>
> Regards,
>               Fabian

Speed Loading
Yes - StarOffice is ssllooww starting up - I think just about
every comment one sees about this product makes the same point.

There are some rumours about that this could improve in the future -
Got good lung capacity ???? <grin>

Printing
I guess you understand that StarOffice has it's own set of printer
drivers and that they are _ALL_ for PostScript(TM) printers.

What's hapenning here (I have the same problem) is that SO writes
the file out as a generic postscript file which is in turn passed
to Ghostscript which massages the file thru it filter ffor your
printer definition

I not sure that there is a workaround for this other than inceased
caffiene intake....

Cheers

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
And 23:59:59 ahead of most of the rest of the world