Philomena wrote:

> I fall into the "used to be a programmer and unfortunately fell up into
> management" type, but I still try to keep myself current.
>
> I'm curious also - what type of question during the install would you think
> is confounding to a new user ? It seems to me that every question during
> the installs at any level are clearly outlined in the documentation you get
> with the software. I doubt a new user would be downloading the distro from
> an FTP site, so I am guessing the package was purchased. Seemed to me that
> you can click on a few options and then go away and come back to find the
> OS just about installed. What do you see as being difficult ?
>
> cheers,
> philomena

That makes at least two of us... <grin>

I agree with your sentiment, however it seems from the content of many
of the shouts for assistance are from those who didn't download the
documentation when the pulled their ISO's down the tube.

Many are migrating from Windows and I suggest that the vast majority
don't have our backgrounds in systems; that their machines came pre-
installed; that the day has long passed since software or hardware
suppliers supplied re-constituted Pinus Radiata with their products,
which in my case are still causing several walls to lean in an alarming
manner. <grin>

As a result these new immigrants don't have any idea about documentation
nor how or where to go looking.

I for one, get frustrated with the standard 4-letter salutation which
is often offered by other list members. We all forget that when we
started in this industry that our first task was read and digest the
'The Unix Programmer's Manual - 1st 2nd and 3rd Editions' _BEFORE_ the
sys-admin let us anywhere near the terminal. In my case I was sent out
of the Computer Hall to a little room in the basement with instruction
'Do not return here until you have memorised the entire index on those
books' - I can't remember how many volumes it was - but I was certainly
'down the hole' for about 3 weeks!!!

I'm returning *nix after a break of about 10 years, I find the
transition
quite difficult at times. There appear to have been a few changes from
the Berkeley (spelling??) version I started on in 1977 for some reason
!!

I obtained my original Macmillian ver 6.5 while browsing in a Staples
store somewhere in New Hampshire last Christmas. Since then I sure have
learned a bit. However - despite my background I still have to ask
dumb questions, questions about things for which I can't find docs
which are written in a manner that my rusty neurons can cope with.

I have no doubt that L-M, RH and the other 'commercial' distributors
are doing a tremendous job in marketing this product, but we still
have to remember that if it costs $1.99 from 'Cheapbytes' then that
'purchaser' can't see why he/she should go and spent a couple of
hundred dollars for the manuals.

This situation is somewhat of a conundrum -

Cheers

John

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
And 23:59:59 ahead of most of the rest of the world