[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> why do people always suggest the most obvious stuff that was already done and
> listed in there message as "i did this but the wrong thing happened" and then
> someone has to be %&*%*&%&* and suggest what they already did, its ubsured
> and ignorant

This is not intended to Flame...

At several megacycles distance (in my case Add a further 12 hours!!)
into
the future, it's very difficult to know what the user did before - yes??

An assumption has to made about the experience of the poster - has
he/she
been watching the list?? All those kinds of things.

Looking back at the original message from Ian, the manner in which he
phrased it, the implication that he is hierarchy-aware of other linux
distributions, and last but not least - the manner in which he phrased
the question - lead/leads me to conclude that he like some of the rest
of us often suffer 'brain-farts' - a prompt of that nature is adequate.

Once again the it comes back to plain common sense.

If you ask a question - you should at the very least tell the list
what you have already tried, what the result was including as much
detail as possible about error messages.

"I put the key in - but my car won't start"
"Why is my tire only flat at the bottom??"

Every new subscriber to the list gets a confirmation email in which
instructions/recommendations are given on how to phrase messages
and how to remove yourself from the list. It is blatantly obvious
that many (most) of the those who demand to be removed trashed that
email somewhere in the region of 50 years _BEFORE_ they joined.

Come-on now, there no need for these things to be continually restated -
it's plain common sense.

As is the next - If you don't know the answer to why the car above
won't start, should you not suggest "Did you turn the key to see if
the starter would operate" - seems fairly sensible.

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"