On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Now can you tell me why ?when I try to install an rpm from the Command
> line (Konsole)and I type :"./configure " ,or " make" ,"xmkmf" the konsole
>  tells me :"No such file or directory,or Command not found,no target
> ,stop? all I want to do is install the driver for my sound card
> (alsa)following the instructions but it doesn't worked and other staff
> that downloaded it.

If it is really an rpm file, then you install the thing with :
  rpm -Uvh file.rpm

But what you tell here would rather make me think that it is a .tgz
archive. If it is the case, the you have to uncompress it before being
able to install it. The *usual* way to handle it, is the following :
  tar vzxf file.tgz
  cd <newly created directory>
  ./configure
  make
  su -c "make install"

If the file extention (.rpm, .tar.gz or .tgz) can't help you determining
the file type, then the "file" command is your friend...

HTH
Flupke

--
        << There's no place like ~ ! >>