markOpoleO wrote:

> Perhaps if you looked at my problem, you could give a helpful answer...that
> was a good reason to ignore your message last time, just like now.  "if you
> would enter the proper set- serial commands"..great, what are they?   I/o is
> 0xd400  IRQ is 10

<snip>

> >      I had previously posted a response to your question. You either did
> not see it or choose to ignore it, so I will try 1 more time.
> >
> >     I have an Actiontec PCI modem. In Windows the modem is on Comm5, in
> > Linux the modem is Comm4, ttyS3. THERE IS NO ttyS4.
> >     If you will enter the proper set-serial commands you should have no
> > problem getting your modem to work in kppp as ttyS3.
> >      If you continue to insist on trying to set-up your modem using a
> value
> > that does not exist then you need to go out now to your nearest computer
> > store and buy an external modem, because you will NEVER be able to get
> your PCI modem to work
> >

> >     Charles

================
Mark,

Did you try my suggestion to edit your kppprc?

Did it work??

I do not intend that you consider this as a flame, ok?

Under linux the serial ports which are available to you for this purpose
are /dev/ttyS0 thru /dev/ttyS4 and /dev/modem.

That Windows is able to see the moden at Com5 is meaningless in this
situation because we are working with linux.

--

The relavant setserial commands are as follows:

'setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xd400 spd_vhi skip_test irq 10'
and
'setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A'

If entering these commands (as root) from your console has enabled
your to access the modem - then your modem has been linked to /dev/ttyS3

After you have proved the above - add those lines to the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc/local so that they are executed when your system restarts.

OK??

Now - kppp _SHOULD_ work from ttyS3 because we have assigned the modem
to that device.

If it does not then we need to look at something else which is
interferring
with it.

Right now I don't know what is doing that - I don't have enough
information.

John
--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"