Dear all,

Please help - I am only one step away from configuring Linux (Mandrake 7.1)
and removing Windows from my machine FOREVER :)

At present I can't get Linux to recognise my modem - I am pretty sure that
it is not a Winmodem (there isn't anything anywhere that says it is a
Winmodem – the words "HSP, HCF, or DSP" do not appear at all). It is
a 56K Main-Daughter-Card clone, not a PCMCIA card, but built on the mother
board.

If I were to install the drivers under Windows the Modem will come up
under:

'? Other Devices' -> '? PCI Card'

in the Device Manager and would run in COM3 (ttsy2). Yes - it was not
listed under ‘modems’ in Windows, but under '? Other Devices'.
Although when the Windows driver was installed it magically changed to a
modem!?!

I didn't try on configure it while installing Linux. I have tried kppp
since installation and then tried to communicate with it, but it says that
the modem is busy? So I presume it is there – just doing something
– maybe a lock file somewhere?

This is all the information that I can obtain from the modem:
MODEM 56K MDC
COM 3
IRQ 5
Address D800
Manufacturer - Compact Flash Technology

The laptop is a Chicony MP-995 machine. What I can get from the manual is:
Intel BGA-1 on board uPGA-1 socket for Celeron
Intel 440MX

Any guesses / answers? Should I have configured it whilst installation - or
does this not matter?

Many thanks in advance,
Andy

--