Yes, they are. I've succesfully upgraded to 7.1 from 7.0, and to 7.0 from 6.1
all using the same /home partition. It's the easy way to upgrade since most of
your config files are still intact. And yes, I'm guessing the beta 7.2 is what
caused it not to work. At least I hope that's what it was!

--
Anthony
http://binaryfusion.net