In Linux a file or directory preceeded by a . is hidden ( more or less).
for example if I create a directory in roots home dir called .stuff it
will not show up in a normal ls. If you us ls -al it will and ofcourse mc
will see it too. However if you mount a drive over top of the directory it
will not show up and be safe as well. This is called a vault. Files are
the same with the exception of being able to mount a device over top of
it.
Kevin