> FYI, here's another article about Corel. It purports that the reason for
>  this bail out is so Microsoft could offer WordPerfect as open-source to
>  compete against the release of Star Office on the 13th, apparently to

This is nothing more than a wild-ass speculation just like the ones I and
others have posed here.  The sad thing is that this woman actually believes she
can argue that MS isn't propping up WP because it's such an insignificant
competitor and thus, they MUST be doing it to release pressure on them to open
source their own Office suite.  Uhm...does anyone else see an inconsistency in
that logic?

Speculation is fun, it's part of what we do.  But it's not an "article about
Corel" in my view.

>  relieve the pressure of offering MS Office as open-source... If this is true
>  it's a bit weak I think just about everyone could see through this.

Heck Mark, she provided the tool to do it with her statements about the
relative imprtance of WP suite in the marketplace.

>  to believe the view that this is more about acquiring access to the graphics
>  applications and .NET than about open-source products and acquiring/killing
>  linux.

Yep...whatever's happened to Corel, they've got a bunch of talent there and MS
(and other US software companies) have expressed repeatedly the need for more
talent.

>  You know, from reading some of these news articles, I don't think a lot of
>  reporters really understand "what" linux is beyond another it's type of
>  OS...

Of course you're right about this.

>  pps: The Outlook 2000 spell checker suggested that I change "linux" to
>  "Linux", looks like MS put Linux in its dictionary!?!

I bet "free" is in there too but they don't understand it either :-)

Cheers --- Larry