It was Oct 7, 2000, 13:38, when Jeff Malka keyboarded:

>I downloaded an app (solar system) in the form of  .........tar.gz
>
>What do I have to  do to install such an app?  I only have installed rpm apps
>so far :-(

Hi Jeff,

Move the tar.gz to a temporary file, like /tmp.
cd to /tmp and then type

tar xvzf <name of tar.gz>  and press enter.
That will unpack the file into a directory with the same name as the
tar.gz.

cd into that directory and find the README and INSTALL files and READ
them!!

The usual way to go is:
su to root
./configure
make
make install

That should do it.
Good luck!
Paul

--
The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret.
-Henny Youngman

http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208 - Registered Linux User 174403
              -=PINE 4.21 on Linux Mandrake 7.1=-