--- Jesse Farmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Fdisk under Dos reads all of this fine.  The Corel installer reads
> it fine,
> but then crashes on the actual beginning of the installation.
> RedHat 6.1
> Install will not read this, and gives and error.  In both Windows
> and
> Linux, right now, all of my partitions are readable and working
> fine.  However, I cannot afford to lose any data on my Windows
> Extended
> partitions.  Obviously, there is nothing in my Linux partition that
> I have
> to keep.
>
> Can someone help me out on this one?  Am I going to have to
> reformat to get
> this distro in?  What is this 'blank out' messsgae?

"Blank out" means repartition and reformat the entire disk. That's
not what you want. Try "sfdisk -V /dev/hda" to verify that your disk
is properly partioned and formatted according to your present Linux
system. It could be that partitions are overlapping.

Do you happen to have a larger disk than your BIOS can support, with
special software at boot time to fix this? The problem could be
related to this.

Last weekend I had some nasty problems with an incorrect partition
table. Linux on my slave IDE disk worked fine, but DOS/Windows
wouldn't even recognize my master disk after I'd installed a second
Linux system on its second partition. The master disk is 15G, my BIOS
only supports 8G. "sfdisk -V /dev/hda/" indicated that I had
overlapping partitions and deleting the partitions with the new Linux
system fixed the problem. Someone else had a similar problem this
week, couldn't boot Windows, couldn't boot DOS from a floppy either.
So proceed with caution, an incorrect partition table can really
screw up your system.

Good luck,
John Hendrickx