On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Thomas F. RuBane wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem with a DSL modem. I've tried configuring
> statically, but am still unable to connect. When trying to up the eth0
> interface with the ifconfig command, I get the error "this resource is
> temporarily unavailable." Or something similar. I would be grateful for any
> suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom RuBane

As a couple of people have said it depends on a lot of things.
Did you do an automatic, custom, or expert install.
Only the automatic install configures the network card for you.  If the
network card was not configured you need to load a dhcp client as that was
not loaded either.

When you boot do you get any error messages during the Mandrake startup when
starting device eth0?

What does HardDrake say you have for a network card?

What DO you have for a network card??

Heck, what version of Mandrake are you using??

Have you successfully used the DSL modem with anything else (like Windows)??
If so what configuration did you use (DHCP, static config,etc)??

Does you DSL use PPPoE or straight DHCP (the Windows config can tell alot)??

Figuring out network problems via long distance is a crap shoot at best, but it
is also like detective work (Just give me the facts, sir).  Linux is quite
informative during the boot process and if you are having trouble you should
pay careful attention to what the boot messages are saying.

--  D.M.(Mike) Mattix
[EMAIL PROTECTED]