I'm afraid I'm new to the whole thing and don't understand the use of
the /home partition. I'm not using any networked stuff, I just want to
allow myself to run linux there will only be 1/2 users at most. So what
should I store in /home rather than /?

I'm afraid I wasn't to clear about grub. Grub runs ok, if I select
windows it boots windows fine but selecting linux or failsafe just bring
up a couple of lines of text.

Thx

Alex