> Since you've got an executable in the tarball in my opinion it's not very
> important... i just hate to compile a package because if i later don't want
> it in my system it's harder to remove  ;-)

This is exactly why I prefer tarballs.  I open and compile them in a
directory in my local user space.  I can generally execute it from there
as well.

This approach serves two purposes for me.  First, I can quickly look at
something and then just delete the directory.  Also, for small utility
programs I just move them to "mybin" which is on my path and when I
upgrade the OS they're not eliminated even if I do a clean install.

Cheers --- Larry