From: Larry Marshall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 9:47 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [newbie] LM install going from bad to worse... Help!!

> I have a cool program called Efdisk. It can create ext2fs partitions of
any
> size. You interested?

What do you use it for Chris?  Sorry to be so dumb but why do you need a
special program for this?

Aside from that, my comments are leveled at an
installation program that should be doing all this stuff without previous
setup by the user.  How would you run your program if Linux wasn't
installed and you were a Mac user who decided to buy into the notion that
Linux on a PC might be a worthy pursuit?  This was the context of my msg.

Here's the deal.  Linux Mandrake is currently shipping with a BIG envelope
that has all sorts of proprietary, single-use license stuff written all
over it.  Inside that envelope is a CD that includes a whole bunch of open
source software as well as some proprietary demo software.  The reason for
the envelope, however, is that on that CD is Partition Magic and LM is
using that in their installation as well.

I find it unfortunate that they're willing to confuse open source apps
with proprietary apps in this way but they have to accommodate Power Quest
I'm sure.  Given that they're willing to muddy the waters, they should use
the darn tools so that newbies shouldn't have to.  And yet we have a guy
here (Simon) who can't do an install with software that contains partition
magic that's got all the power to take unallocated disk space and turn it
into partitions.  Doesn't make sense.

The separate issue of them forcing me to agree to a single use license so
that I can get access to things like Star Office is quite a separate one
of course but if they feel that's worth the risk to include Partition
Magic then they darn sure should use its advantages.

Cheers --- Larry