frjimmy wrote:

> Dennis Myers wrote:
>
> > > alan wrote:
> > >
> > > hi canyou tell me where I can find any information on which modems
> > > will work with linux I have installed at the moment a diamond
> > > supraexpress 56i pro v cc pci modem. regards alan
> >
> > Hi, I have a "Best Data" internal modem on one machine and a "Best Data
> > 56SX" external on another machine. They both were detected and once set
> > up in KPPP worked like a charm. I highly recommend them and have seen
> > benchmarking that shows they are as good as they come. Just my opinion
> > for what it is worth.
> > --
> > Dennis M. a registered Linux User #180842
>
> Alan,
>     US Robotics work really well with Linux.  I never had any luck with
> those "win-modems" !
> Jimmy
Just to clarify, the Best Data Modems refered to above are not
"winmodems" and in fact indicate linux supported on the box of the
internal modem. I know of no external modem that will not work with
linux due to the fact that they are all of necessity "controller" modems
i.e. they do not need the computer cpu to function, they have their own
chipset. So external modems are the best bet.
--
Dennis M. a registered Linux User #180842