MP3 files can be streamed only (AFAIK) if the end-user has streaming MP3
support. This is often done via a browser plugin like Plugger (Linux/Unix) or
NetTOOB (WinDOS). I think if you need to create streaming RealAudio files you
need to buy RealPlayer Plus or RealProducer (go to www.real.com). Ogg Vorbis
(www.vorbis.com) looks really good for your needs. However, it is still under
development (version 1 is due out soon). Read the site FAQ for details.

The problem with streaming audio is that if the site viewer's bandwidth is
rather slow (e.g. a dial-up connection), they may just end up with choppy
sound.

What kind of sound do you intend to send? If it is not too complex, perhaps
you can put it in MIDI format. MIDI files are *extremely* small and support a
large range of sounds (nothing like MP3, but you can still make some great
effects). Look up MIDI composers on Freshmeat or Tucows Linux; I think there
are quite a few of them around.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
        "One World, One Web, One Programme" - Microsoft Promotional Ad.