Ralph Avery wrote:

>  I'm a complete newbie to Linux, so this may seem a little lame to most of
>  you.  I've been following these messages for some time looking for
>  information on how to configure, install, and use my sound card and modem.
>
>  I have a VIA sound card that has a (Red Hat) Linux driver on the CD.  It's
>  *.gz file.  I tried to use gunzip to unzip it, but then I don't know what
>  do with it after that.

Im fairly new myself, so you may want to read up before following these
suggestions. Any old timers feel free to correct or expand on this.
After you unzip it, check to see if it contained a text file of
instructions.
If it is source code, you may have to cd to the dir that you unzipped
to, and do ./configure   then  ./make   then  ./make install. You may
have to load the resulting module, see   man insmod

>  I noticed recently during the boot up process that I see a RED [Failed] go
>  by.  Most of what I see says [Passed].  I believe it has something to do
>  with a sound card device failing, but it goes by too fast.  (Is there any
>  way to slow this down, or view a text file that shows the order in which
>  things are executed, mounted, whatever, during the boot up process)

You might be looking for the command   dmesg

>  I recently found out that my modem is obviously already configured for
>  Linux. I configured a PPP connection that causes it to dial.  I hear it
>  dialing, I hear it connecting, but I have no way to check anything else.
> It
>  will keep dialing and connecting about every 10 minutes, but  I have no
> idea
>  how to use that connection.  Netscape doesn't show any way in it's GUI to
>  configure it to use a specific PPP connection, and I can't get Netscape to
>  navigate even when I'm connected.

Check that your file /etc/resolv.conf  contains your ISP's DNS
addresses.
Also try entering a numeric IP in Netscapes location bar, for instance
http://216.32.74.51  will take you to Yahoo if everything is working but
DNS.

Gene